223 Long Range

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

223 Long Range

Post by Corjack »

I gotta Proof research 26 inch barrel in 223 Wylde. Kinda got it figured out, but not all the way. Shot a local PRS match a week ago, and got almost an 80% score. Actually did real well on all but two stages. Only dropped one shot on the longest stage. 730 yard target wind switched on me or I would have cleaned it. Had a 75 grain Hornady going 2900 fps.

My gunsmith buddy spun up a second barrel for me Hawk Hill 27.5 with a free bore of about .0820. The freebore of the Wylde is about .0620. Well then in the new barrel with 75 grain bullets and 24.7 grains of Varget I am running about 2945, loaded up a few 85.5 Berbers with 24.5 of Varget and they are dot on 2800 fps. At 1000 yards both loads are about 8.6 mills of elevation.

Went to a range Sunday with some friends. It was pretty breezy but was getting good solid hits to 800. I had one round of the 75 grain ammo left and told my buddys to spot the 8 inch square target at 1000. I held 1.2 mils left if center squeezed it off and pretty much centered. My friends could not believe it. Then I started shooting the 85.5 grain Berger. We were playing a game where you pick a target then everyone else shoots at it. When it was my turn I. picked the 8 inch 1000 yard target, hit it first round, then the rest of them shot at it with their 6 Dashers and they all missed. They were giving me a hard time saying I was just getting lucky, so I grabbed my match rifle in 6x47 Lapua shooting 109 Berger, set the target up on my Kestrel and held .7 left and made a cold bore first round impact. Does not always go so well, but it was working for me that day.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

SPEEDY

Re: 223 Long Range

Post by SPEEDY »

Take the win while you can, I know I would.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

The little 223 is more capable than most of us think. I saw you are using starling Sarline brass, how do you like it?
Robert J Stokes

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

That sounded like great fun. Well done :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

stokesrj wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:10 pm The little 223 is more capable than most of us think. I saw you are using starling brass, how do you like it?
Well so far do good. Actually got the 5.56 brass that has a harder head/web area. I can get 250 of them for the same price as 100 Lapua. I figure as many as you loose during a match it will be a cheaper option. They are also thick, and fairly small. After one firing to blow them out the capacity is greater. Will know more after I go to reloading Once Fired brass.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Well done Ron. It's great when you have those great days....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Funny thing is, ten to twelve years ago I was watching videos on YouTube of guys hitting targets at 1000 to 1200 yards with a 6.5x47 Lapua . I thought to myself wow! How is that possible, and now I am hitting fairly small targets at 1000 yards with a 223.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

I love the 223 with a fast twist barrel. I bought a Tikka T3 with a 1/8" twist barrel for my son to shoot PRS style matches and he ran it as his main match rifle for the first year or so, before upgrading to a 6mm Creed for competitions. We still have the 223 set up with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24 as a training rifle. Its a really fun rifle to shoot, effective with the 75gn Hornady or 80gn Berger bullerts. I only shoot our 6mms in matches or during load development, so the 223 and a 22RF are the main rifles we train with.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Rifletuner wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:08 pm I love the 223 with a fast twist barrel. I bought a Tikka T3 with a 1/8" twist barrel for my son to shoot PRS style matches and he ran it as his main match rifle for the first year or so, before upgrading to a 6mm Creed for competitions. We still have the 223 set up with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24 as a training rifle. Its a really fun rifle to shoot, effective with the 75gn Hornady or 80gn Berger bullerts. I only shoot our 6mms in matches or during load development, so the 223 and a 22RF are the main rifles we train with.
I shot it in an F class FTR match yesterday. Did not have a team mate, but it shot well enough that I would have won a medal if I had been part of a team.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Corjack wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:33 pm
I shot it in an F class FTR match yesterday. Did not have a team mate, but it shot well enough that I would have won a medal if I had been part of a team.
Good to hear. I hope you spanked a bunch of guys running 284 Winchesters. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Konrad.inc

Post by Konrad.inc »

You guys should try the 88eldm, and try a really really long throat. I’ve been having really good success with that. the 88s out perform the 85.5s at all distances.

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”