I must be getting old. Quantico and Camp Perry

Put any topics that do not fit elsewhere in this forum. A good place to just BS.

Moderators: skeetshot, deerhunter338mag

Rod
Meister der jagd

I must be getting old. Quantico and Camp Perry

Post by Rod »

A few days ago I caught up with an old mate who I hadn’t seen for years. An old mate from my service match, rifle competition days. Pre 1996 when we had M14’s , AR15’s and other fine service rifles.
Anyway, today he sent me a few photos….and boy has that bought back some memories.

This photo was taken on my first trip overseas …’93.
E4D91DE1-8E6D-4FCA-B50C-06E3B76D2B36.jpeg
The good ol US of A …. What a bloody great time that was. Quantico and then to the Holy Grail 👍

Rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: I must be getting old. Quantico and Camp Perry

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Nothing Like old memories to look back on. :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Ah back in the days when you could buy an SKS for $90 and they threw in a tin of that horrible smelling Chinese ammo for it.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

I was speaking to a friend of mine about the Kings Match in Canberra, I have not shot it since 2011.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Gamsjagd wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:27 am I was speaking to a friend of mine about the Kings Match in Canberra, I have not shot it since 2011.
In 2011 the match would have been the “Queen’s Prize” the first “Kings Prize “ in over 70 years should be held next year. Seems strange that she has passed.

I’ve shot in a few Queens (Service Rifle) over the years, NSWRA, QRA, and ANRA. Even managed to win one with an M14.
5232B2C3-C266-4B88-B403-A0439C95BB07.jpeg
I really do miss the competition. They were great matches to participate in.

Rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

SPEEDY wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:56 am Ah back in the days when you could buy an SKS for $90 and they threw in a tin of that horrible smelling Chinese ammo for it.
They were cheaper than a Stirling.22 rimfire and if you bought ammunition by the crate it worked out at about 3 cents a shot 😂😂

Surprisingly that cheap surplus ammunition was fairly accurate. I owned several SKS’s and a few more SKK’s , who didn’t, and they were all capable of sub 3” groups at 100 meters. Some even went as good as 2” or thereabouts. Not that I bench rested them much 😂😂

Rod

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:23 am Nothing Like old memories to look back on. :handgestures-thumbup:
Another of the photos Gordy sent me. Possibly taken at Malabar in Sydney at a Queen’s. I’m the one putting on the jacket
824E9FCA-A1AE-426D-BE5D-CCBA43122506.jpeg
Competitions in Australia were minuscule compared to Camp Perry. 120 shooters for a big match in Australia and if I’m not mistaken I reckon up to 200 shooters on the line for a detail at Camp Perry. What an absolute amazing place 👍

And, the ranges at Quantico were maintained better than most golf courses 😂

I’m bored 🤷‍♂️😂

Rod

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

Canberra Kings match was in November. He is one of the chairs and helps to run the match.

I shot the Queens in 2011.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Gamsjagd wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:39 pm Canberra Kings match was in November. He is one of the chairs and helps to run the match.

I shot the Queens in 2011.
:handgestures-thumbup:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Rod wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:50 pm
SPEEDY wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:56 am Ah back in the days when you could buy an SKS for $90 and they threw in a tin of that horrible smelling Chinese ammo for it.
They were cheaper than a Stirling.22 rimfire and if you bought ammunition by the crate it worked out at about 3 cents a shot 😂😂

Surprisingly that cheap surplus ammunition was fairly accurate. I owned several SKS’s and a few more SKK’s , who didn’t, and they were all capable of sub 3” groups at 100 meters. Some even went as good as 2” or thereabouts. Not that I bench rested them much 😂😂

Rod
They were so cheap and the ammunition so corrosive that we used to shoot them till they were little more then scrap then buy a new one.
It took a while to figure out that you had to scrub them with a bucket of soapy water instead of just giving them a pull through.
I must have owned a dozen sks and skk rifles growing up.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Chamois71

Post by Chamois71 »

Nothing quite like being on the line at Perry with 200 M1 Garands during prone rapid!
"That if you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on the animal’s terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always recapture the day." —R.Ruark

Chamois71

Post by Chamois71 »

Circa 2017
"That if you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on the animal’s terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always recapture the day." —R.Ruark

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Chamois71 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:37 pmCirca 2017
Bloody oath 👍

From 1993
2A47B78C-C67F-459E-B2B7-E06F94950A9C.jpeg
I was using one of these beauties 👍
32DB82D9-A077-4B5D-B36A-84E97F0669E5.jpeg
Working in the butts was a very social thing when I was there, smoking cigars 🙈😂 , telling stories and wondering in amazement at some of the scores being shot.

Rod

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

When we were at Quantico we took a drive to this legendary place 👍
2F06EC7E-20E3-41B6-BA1B-47F0E8576EC0.jpeg
Rod

John0313

Post by John0313 »

Ahh, the good old days! Those shooting service rifle (or “Highpower” as we called it back then) now can’t believe that the matches at Quantico were so well attended that we would fill up range 4, and the overflow went to Range 3 - all 4 relays! I think we had more shooting at the Mid-Atlantic Match back then than now shoot the Nationals. Very sad.

Return to “Open discussion”