Blaser R8 .22 rimfire - @ 200 yards

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Which .22 rimfire ?

Post by 9.3x64 »

Rod wrote: ↑Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:29 pm
9.3x64 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:49 pm
Rod wrote: ↑Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:59 pm Well I just ordered the R8 .22 conversion unit without sights . Apparently none in country and it could be a couple of months wait . Oh well.....plenty of time to save up for a NF πŸ™ˆ

Will probably buy a second hand T1x.....not sure if I really need it now....but I do like them.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Rod
Well I just took the plunge and ordered a R8 Rimfire kit, know idea how long it will be.
I sold my Anschutz and decided to continue down the R8 path. It just makes more sense in terms of cheap trigger time for all your hunting rifles. Not to mention a bit more space in the safe.

πŸ‘ good onya mate.

Still waiting for mine, I’ve been told to expect it May/ June hopefully.

I also bought another R8 Professional this week πŸ™ˆ

Cheers

Rod
Apparently 40 on order and 21 spoken for already.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

You picked a scope yet?

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Rod wrote: ↑Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:38 pm You picked a scope yet?
Yes, I have a spare Zeiss 8x56 classic already in a mount.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

9.3x64 wrote: ↑Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:25 pm
Sounds good πŸ‘......and I guess I should give some consideration to get a mount for mine as well πŸ€”

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Rod wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:11 am
Sounds good πŸ‘......and I guess I should give some consideration to get a mount for mine as well πŸ€”
There is one on used guns now.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

9.3x64 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:19 am
Rod wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:11 am

There is one on used guns now.
Yeah thanks....I’ve seen it. I need a 30mm going to put one of these on it and a Aimpoint H2

https://www.eurooptic.com/C557-NF-Night ... l-R-r.aspx

If I had some spare cash lying about , which I definitely don’t, I’d probably make an offer for ...just to have one on hand.

Cheers
Rod

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

I'm on leave and with nothing better to do I thought I'd head out to the range for a bit of practice. Anyway, I shot the.223 barrel in the SSAA Field Rifle competition and I’m now convinced I made the right decision to go with the R8 .22 conversion over the Voodoo....hopefully :pray:

My 223 has a 2-10 Zeiss sitting on her and she’s zeroed at 200 yards which means holding about 2” low at 100 yards and holding about 1” high at 25. Ammunition was OSA factory 55 grain at 25 and 50 yards and OSA 69 grain stuff at 100 and 200.(mixing ammo is always a receipt for disaster but I did it as I didn't take out enough of the 69 grain stuff to shoot the whole competition and the 55 grain stuff is a bit touchy with the wind at 200). So, no spotting scope and not enough power on the scope at 200 yards to see bullet holes... it's a bit like take a guess and hope for the best. Plus no shooting jackets or gloves allowed. I didn't use a sling.

Anyway, I stuffed up :roll: and shot the wrong target at 50 yards. But considering this is a standard weight rifle, shooting factory ammo and with a scope made more for the paddock than the range I'm pretty happy. Damn I love shooting my R8....even when I stuff up :violin: :dance:
25image.jpg
Standing, unsupported 25 yards rapid fire. 4 x 3 shots...15 seconds for each round of 3. Then drop your 2 worst shots. Possible of 100.10
50image.jpg
50 yards standing unsupported. I stuffed up and fired 3 shots onto my 100 yard target πŸ™ˆ and those on target were not too impressisve. 10 shots in 15 minutes ...with a possible of 100.10
100 image.jpg
100 yards standing, post... the 3 shots meant for the 50 yards target are circled. 10 shots in 15 minutes ...possible 100.10
200 image.jpg
200 yards. Sitting post. 10 shots in 15 minutes. possible of 100.10

Can't wait for the .22 conversion unit to arrive.

Rod

Sent from my iPhone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rod on Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

SECTION 5: COURSE OF FIRE FOR CENTREFIRE FIELD RIFLES
Shall be 42 rounds, fired in the following order for a full match.
5.1 Rapid Fire: 12 rounds rapid fire in 4 bursts of 3 shots in each burst, to be fired from the standing unsupported position at a distance of 25 metres. Time allowed to fire each burst of 3 shots is to be 15 seconds and no more than 3 rounds of ammunition are to be loaded into a magazine at any time.
5.2 Standing: 10 rounds slow fire, from the standing unsupported position at a distance of 50 metres.
5.3 Standing Post Rest: 10 rounds slow fire, from the standing with a post rest position at 100 metres / yards
5.4 Sitting or Kneeling Post Rest: 10 rounds slow fire, from the sitting or kneeling with a post rest position at 200 metres / yards.
5.5 Single or Magazine loading shall apply in any position. Except as required under Section 5.1, no more than 5 rounds of ammunition are to be loaded into a magazine at any one time, if used. One magazine only may be used and must be the magazine submitted with the rifle for weigh in certification. At no time are more than 5 rounds to be loaded into the rifle.
5.6 Time allowed to fire 10 rounds in the last three positions shall be 15 minutes from the time the "Commence Fire" command has been given by the Range

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Picked up the.22 conversion unit yesterday πŸ‘. Now for some mounts, Nightforce scope and some Eley match ammunition. Might take a mount or two to round up that πŸ™ˆ

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Rod wrote: ↑Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:38 pm Picked up the.22 conversion unit yesterday πŸ‘. Now for some mounts, Nightforce scope and some Eley match ammunition. Might take a mount or two to round up that πŸ™ˆ
I picked mine up a week ago. I had the choice between two that arrived. I choose the one with the straight barrel...

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
9.3x64 wrote: ↑Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:45 pm
Rod wrote: ↑Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:38 pm Picked up the.22 conversion unit yesterday πŸ‘. Now for some mounts, Nightforce scope and some Eley match ammunition. Might take a mount or two to round up that πŸ™ˆ
I picked mine up a week ago. I had the choice between two that arrived. I choose the one with the straight barrel...
:think: that's strange.....I always choose the one with the spirally thing down the hole :whistle: :whistle: Good luck with it :handgestures-thumbup:

Cheers
Rod

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Rod wrote: ↑Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:14 pm :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
9.3x64 wrote: ↑Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:45 pm
:think: that's strange.....I always choose the one with the spirally thing down the hole :whistle: :whistle: Good luck with it :handgestures-thumbup:

Cheers
Rod
Thanks mate

bowji john

Post by bowji john »

Well I've been able to give the .22LR barrel on my R8 some range time

The Vudoo is not yet here so I can only compare my Cz 452 with the R8

I've tried the following ammo

Gecco semi-auto
RWS special match
RWS R 100
40 grain Norma subs

I've shot them over 100m and 150m

I have yet to find a make of ammo that the R8 likes

R 8
The ES for special match - 38
ES for R 100 is an adequate - 27
Best group with R 100 was 1 inch (@ 100m) but not consistent
Best group with special match was 2 inch (@ 100m) also not consistent
Best group with semi-auto 1.8 inch

All groups were stretched horizontally indicating wind effect

Cz 452
The ES for special match - 22
ES for R 100 is a pretty good - 15
Best group with R 100 was 1.5 inch (@ 100m) but very consistent
Best group with special match was 2 inches (@ 100m) also consistent
Best group with semi-auto was 0.8 inch but more typically 1.5 inch

All groups were stretched horizontally indicating wind effects during the 2 days - on a windless day the groups might well tighten up

Vertical stringing at about 1/2 inch for both R 100 and special match from both rifles, but greater for the gecco semi-auto

Although the semi auto provided the best groups overall, the vertical stringing was often its undoing as inconsistent velocity often spoiled an otherwise 1" group with a single high or low flier.

On balance the Cz shot these types of ammo with more precision and accuracy than the R8

The R8 really came into its own though when shooting over open sights. Ease of regulation using an adjustable grub screw system, together with the joy of handling the pro success off hand makes the R8 a real winner in my book. Especially as a training calibre for off hand shooting of magnum calibres

Looking forward to finding an ammo the R8 likes and comparing it with the Vudoo

Will comment on 150m result shortly

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

bowji john wrote: ↑Sat May 08, 2021 3:48 am Well I've been able to give the .22LR barrel on my R8 some range time

The Vudoo is not yet here so I can only compare my Cz 452 with the R8

I've tried the following ammo

Gecco semi-auto
RWS special match
RWS R 100
40 grain Norma subs

I've shot them over 100m and 150m

I have yet to find a make of ammo that the R8 likes

R 8
The ES for special match - 38
ES for R 100 is an adequate - 27
Best group with R 100 was 1 inch (@ 100m) but not consistent
Best group with special match was 2 inch (@ 100m) also not consistent
Best group with semi-auto 1.8 inch

All groups were stretched horizontally indicating wind effect

Cz 452
The ES for special match - 22
ES for R 100 is a pretty good - 15
Best group with R 100 was 1.5 inch (@ 100m) but very consistent
Best group with special match was 2 inches (@ 100m) also consistent
Best group with semi-auto was 0.8 inch but more typically 1.5 inch

All groups were stretched horizontally indicating wind effects during the 2 days - on a windless day the groups might well tighten up

Vertical stringing at about 1/2 inch for both R 100 and special match from both rifles, but greater for the gecco semi-auto

Although the semi auto provided the best groups overall, the vertical stringing was often its undoing as inconsistent velocity often spoiled an otherwise 1" group with a single high or low flier.

On balance the Cz shot these types of ammo with more precision and accuracy than the R8

The R8 really came into its own though when shooting over open sights. Ease of regulation using an adjustable grub screw system, together with the joy of handling the pro success off hand makes the R8 a real winner in my book. Especially as a training calibre for off hand shooting of magnum calibres

Looking forward to finding an ammo the R8 likes and comparing it with the Vudoo

Will comment on 150m result shortly
stokesrj wrote: ↑Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:11 pm When you get it, try the Eley Match mine shoots it better than the Ten-X
Mate, try the Eley as suggested by Stokesrj if you can πŸ‘

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers
Rod

bowji john

Post by bowji john »

[/quote]

Mate, try the Eley as suggested by Stokesrj if you can πŸ‘

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers
Rod