6BRA

A place to discuss subjects related to those who prefer to take those longer shots. Sponsored by European Long Range Hunting and EuroOptic

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, stokesrj, trazman

Corjack
Administrator

6BRA

Post by Corjack »

Ordered from JGS a 6BRA reamer . Due in middle of February. Also ordered two Hawkhill 7.5 twist 6mm barrels M24 contour. The 6x47 Lapua has been good to me, but after shooting my two best scores this year with a 223, I have sorta concluded that accuracy trumps speed every time. As well as consistency. Users report drama free load work ups, and consistently. Low SDs, and stays in tune longer. We will see, it is only money.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Vaughan

Re: 6BRA

Post by Vaughan »

Curious to hear how it works out for you. I've always wondered what the disadvantage of the Ackley shoulder angle is?
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

I have been shooting a 6XC for PRS for a few years now. I was initially going to build a 6 Dasher, but decided not to because I was worried about feeding from standard AICS mags. I know there are some good options for feeding the BR case from AI mags now, but they didnt exist when I was considering my first build. And even now, those feeding kits are difficult to get in Australia. Back at the end of 2019 I was about to build a 6BRX, but then George Gardener released the 6GT.

I shelved my plans for the BRX and ordered a 6GT reamer & dies. I had a rifle chambered at the beginning of 2020 and started working with the 6GT just when my local range was shut due to Covid lock down. Since then, my main priority has been hunting when things reopened, so I am only just restarting my 6GT project now since its mostly too hot to hunt here.

Hopefully the GT will give me similar results to your plans for the 6BRA. I am planning to run it towards the lower end of the velocity spectrum. Hopefully that will make it easier to see the bullet vapor trail and spot my own impacts in matches. I know Jake Vibbert runs his 6 Dasher at under 2800 FPS. He says it makes it a lot easier for him to see hits. My main training rifle is a 223, so the ballistics of the 2 rifles should make for a good combination for matches & practice.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Rifletuner wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:04 pm I have been shooting a 6XC for PRS for a few years now. I was initially going to build a 6 Dasher, but decided not to because I was worried about feeding from standard AICS mags. I know there are some good options for feeding the BR case from AI mags now, but they didnt exist when I was considering my first build. And even now, those feeding kits are difficult to get in Australia. Back at the end of 2019 I was about to build a 6BRX, but then George Gardener released the 6GT.

I shelved my plans for the BRX and ordered a 6GT reamer & dies. I had a rifle chambered at the beginning of 2020 and started working with the 6GT just when my local range was shut due to Covid lock down. Since then, my main priority has been hunting when things reopened, so I am only just restarting my 6GT project now since its mostly too hot to hunt here.

Hopefully the GT will give me similar results to your plans for the 6BRA. I am planning to run it towards the lower end of the velocity spectrum. Hopefully that will make it easier to see the bullet vapor trail and spot my own impacts in matches. I know Jake Vibbert runs his 6 Dasher at under 2800 FPS. He says it makes it a lot easier for him to see hits. My main training rifle is a 223, so the ballistics of the 2 rifles should make for a good combination for matches & practice.

I just went up and spent a half day with George ten days ago. Tom Jacobs who is the T in GT is also a very good friend of mine.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Yeah, it seems like the 6GT is getting some good support now. As far as I know, we have never seen cases for the Gay Tiger in Australia. I am in the process of forming and neck turning 200 6.5 x 47 Lapua cases into 6GT brass.

Are you using Lapua BR brass or the Alpha 6BRA cases?

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I only use Lapua

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Yes, me as well. At least its easier to form 6BR into 6BRA than it is to form 6.5x47 into the gay tiger :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Long Range Hunting and  Precision Shooting”