6.5 PRC Loading - Recommendations

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

BlaserBado

6.5 PRC Loading - Recommendations

Post by BlaserBado »

Hello Blaser Loaders,

I am wondering if someone(s) has a great hunting load recommendation for the 6.5 PRC. I am assuming that my stock Blaser barrel will be the same length as others. Therefore, whatever powder burn rate works well for you should work well for me, at least with a similar projectile weight.

I am wanting to load for either the Hornady 147 ELDM (Match), or the Berger 156 EOL hunter. The two powders that seem to be working well for many are the H-1000 and the Retumbo. I am wanting to stick to one of the extreme (temperature stable) powders.

I would appreciate any information on what you have found works well in your rifle. I am surprised that there is not a specific thread in the menu listing the 6.5 PRC here on the forum (unless I missed it).

Thanks for your input.

BlaserBado

slugslinger

Re: 6.5 PRC Loading - Recommendations

Post by slugslinger »

Here is some info (and history) . . . with cautions:

General Caution: Increase powder loads toward maximums with Extreme Caution. It has been my experience (with my Sauer 100 rifle) that you can go from "no pressure signs" to significant pressure signs (cratered primer, ejector imprints) in less than a grain of powder. At no time did I reach maximum loads.

I have seen good reports on Retumbo, H-1000, and Reloder 26 . . . if you have, or can get any of those. Also, there is a lot more published load data now, than when I tested my 6.5 PRC last in 2019 and 2020. Also, I noticed that Vihtavuori has gotten very conservative with maximum loads, with very few even reaching 2900 fps!

I have used IMR 7977 and Vihtavuori 565 with 140g Nosler Accubond bullets - both are advertised as temperature insensitive and copper fouling eliminator (CFE). Around 3000 fps there was decent sub-MOA accuracy.

Some dialogue from Accurate Reloader Forum on the subject:
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 7651014552

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

BlaserBado

Re: 6.5 PRC Loading - Recommendations

Post by BlaserBado »

Thank you for taking the time to share this information - Mr. Slugslinger

Return to “Reloading”