Reloading Tools you cannot live without...

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Re: Dies you cannot live without...

Post by secondtry »

9.3x64 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:34 am I just received a set of these yesterday. Geez they are bloody handy, and cheap.
I load for three different rifles useing the same set of 7x64 Brenneke dies (two R8’s and a BD14). Adjusting the sizing die for three different rifles each time is a right pain in the arse. The problem is, even the tiniest bit of movement of the sizing die adjusts headspace more than intended.
Now I just set the sizing die at a fixed position and adjust headspace to the one thousandth of an inch with these shims. No guessing, they are dead accurate and work a treat.
This type of thread always costs me money. Thankfully not much this time.

I have been using the Redding competition shellholders, but these look much more convenient.

Ever since I acquired good measuring tools, I have been amazed at how much factory dies push back shoulders. EG: headspace considerably increased by FLS when compared to virgin Lapua brass.

I suppose die makers are less likely to get a complaint if their dies overly shorten cases than if FLS cases don't chamber.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Dies you cannot live without...

Post by 9.3x64 »

secondtry wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:39 am
9.3x64 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:34 am I just received a set of these yesterday. Geez they are bloody handy, and cheap.
I load for three different rifles useing the same set of 7x64 Brenneke dies (two R8’s and a BD14). Adjusting the sizing die for three different rifles each time is a right pain in the arse. The problem is, even the tiniest bit of movement of the sizing die adjusts headspace more than intended.
Now I just set the sizing die at a fixed position and adjust headspace to the one thousandth of an inch with these shims. No guessing, they are dead accurate and work a treat.
This type of thread always costs me money. Thankfully not much this time.

I have been using the Redding competition shellholders, but these look much more convenient.

Ever since I acquired good measuring tools, I have been amazed at how much factory dies push back shoulders. EG: headspace considerably increased by FLS when compared to virgin Lapua brass.

I suppose die makers are less likely to get a complaint if their dies overly shorten cases than if FLS cases don't chamber.
Yep, so have I.
I used to adjust my die so it just kissed to shell holder, whilst in its highest position.
Now I use a 15 thou spacer and it chambers with just the slightest amount of feel.
The spacers are very cheap.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

sakohunter264

Re: Reloading Tools you cannot live without...

Post by sakohunter264 »

My old forester press and lock rings.

Return to “Reloading”