Anyone reloading 8.5x55 Blaser?

This forum is for discussion of all reloading-related topics. Sponsored by Shooting Shed-UK

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, Vaughan, stokesrj

hv

Re: Anyone reloading 8.5x55 Blaser?

Post by hv »

Yes, it really is expensive, but I figured this out in advance and accepted it. I bought loaded rounds but my local store announced a couple of weeks ago that the importer should have the first batch of brass on 19.4. so maybe next week I could get it.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Looking forward to hearing how this performs. Should make a fantastic round for moose👍🏼
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

jamesc wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:16 pm where did you get brass from or are did you buy loaded rounds and shoot first.
The cartridge interests me but even a set of dies from germany is extremely expensive and i can find anyone selling new brass
If RWS make it, OSA will order it for your LGS. Minimum order 10 packets.

jamesc

Post by jamesc »

secondtry wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:08 pm
jamesc wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:16 pm where did you get brass from or are did you buy loaded rounds and shoot first.
The cartridge interests me but even a set of dies from germany is extremely expensive and i can find anyone selling new brass
Looks like only Norma or blaser doing ammo for it atm and blaser ammo I found in Germany and €116 /20

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

jamesc wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:38 pm
secondtry wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:08 pm
Looks like only Norma or blaser doing ammo for it atm and blaser ammo I found in Germany and €116 /20
Thats what I pay for RWS ammo for my 8x68S. I don't see the problem..... :shock: :lol: Makes custom dies look like a good investment.... :D
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

andychas

Post by andychas »

AKAIK no-one is making raw brass for reloading yet, my approach is ordering 200 factory Norma along with the barrel and then reloading them, whilst being extremely careful not to lose any!
As far as dies go, Triebel seem to be the only ones making them at the moment, though you may have luck with some of the custom die makers.
To me its worth jumping through the hoops, I like the concept of the cartridge and like the idea it’s a bit unusual with a bit of a journey involved. I’m sure theres plenty of other cartridges that will match its performance, but where’s the fun in that!

hv

Post by hv »

andychas wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:54 pmTo me its worth jumping through the hoops, I like the concept of the cartridge and like the idea it’s a bit unusual with a bit of a journey involved. I’m sure theres plenty of other cartridges that will match its performance, but where’s the fun in that!
Exactly similar thoughts. Hopefully there will be no caliber war. It's childish and silly. However, this is going to be a really rare caliber, so it is useful for us that we can even share experiences here.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

For custom dies, Whidden's would certainly make them if you wanted (https://www.whiddengunworks.com). I have some of their dies and they are very good. You would think Norma will release brass at some point but it might be a while, I don't know. :handgestures-thumbup:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

andychas

Post by andychas »

hv wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:11 pm
andychas wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:54 pmTo me its worth jumping through the hoops, I like the concept of the cartridge and like the idea it’s a bit unusual with a bit of a journey involved. I’m sure theres plenty of other cartridges that will match its performance, but where’s the fun in that!
Exactly similar thoughts. Hopefully there will be no caliber war. It's childish and silly. However, this is going to be a really rare caliber, so it is useful for us that we can even share experiences here.
this seems like the ideal way forward, its great to share experiences - My barrel is held up in customs at the moment so I can't get out and test yet!

andychas

Post by andychas »

Vaughan wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:18 am For custom dies, Whidden's would certainly make them if you wanted (https://www.whiddengunworks.com). I have some of their dies and they are very good. You would think Norma will release brass at some point but it might be a while, I don't know. :handgestures-thumbup:
Thats a very good idea, I like Whidden dies (I have them for 6XC). I will drop them a line
thanks!
Andy

andychas

Post by andychas »

hv wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:18 pm Yes, it really is expensive, but I figured this out in advance and accepted it. I bought loaded rounds but my local store announced a couple of weeks ago that the importer should have the first batch of brass on 19.4. so maybe next week I could get it.
did the brass show up with your importer? My barrel has finally arrived but no ammunition! Im on a search for any components!

hv

Post by hv »

No. Another seller said the brass would have come, but was busy and asked to call the next day. Maybe I was only second in line.
I previously bought a couple of packs of Norma Oryx 230gr and a few packs of Barnex 160gr TTSX. My store told me that other models besides those would already be available, but I haven’t been looking.

andychas

Post by andychas »

hv wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:10 am No. Another seller said the brass would have come, but was busy and asked to call the next day. Maybe I was only second in line.
I previously bought a couple of packs of Norma Oryx 230gr and a few packs of Barnex 160gr TTSX. My store told me that other models besides those would already be available, but I haven’t been looking.
Thanks for the reply, I think with the current import situation in the UK its going to be quicker to nip over to Finland and buy the brass! Fortunately that may well be on the cards as my daughter moved to Turku last Christmas so I'll be making a visit when its all clear!

hv

Post by hv »

I'm pretty sure cartridges or brass of this caliber are not available in all stores in Finland, so you may want to contact a local store in Turku in advance. The store where I do things myself is quite close to Turku:
https://www.metsoase.fi

jamesc

Post by jamesc »

Assume it is Norma that will release the brass as they seem to be the only ones doing loaded for it, does Norma load all the blaser ammunition as well ?

Return to “Reloading”