Merkel B3, B4?

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

SPEEDY

Merkel B3, B4?

Post by SPEEDY »

I've been mulling over a Merkel either B4 or B3 but I can't find a lot about them out their. I would rather a BBF but I just can't get over that rubber space filler.
But does anyone have any experience with them, I like the ability to zero the shotgun barrel with slugs and then zero the rifle barrel to that. But I don't like having the rifle barrel on the front trigger.
The other thing im having trouble with is barrel selection, I would either get a 12ga over 223rem so it's a good varmint stalker, meat head shooter, capable of ducks and foxes as well as being able to shoot slugs for big game.
Or get one in 12ga over 9.3x74R, that would probably suit me more as a meat hunter, if I could get a full length barrel insert in 22 hornet then it would be perfect.
But the 1st problem will be finding out if they are any good.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vaughan

Re: Merkel B3, B4?

Post by Vaughan »

Can't answer you on the Merkels. One of my hunting mates has both a o/u double in 9.3x74r and a couple of combination guns. One an old one from his grandfather, can't remember the cal just now but its a rare one... So, he is obviously a fan. All of his are on the older side so don't know about new ones.

For the Blaser BBF..... I have a BB97 o/u double. The rubber thing really is a none issue for me. I know some folks take it out. I leave it in and simply don't see it. YMMV and that is completely fine, we all get bothered by different stuff....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

MM
Meister der jagd

Re: Merkel B3, B4?

Post by MM »

Barrels on a combination gun that are adjustable is way more important than the rubber strip. I really never noticed it on mine and it didn't bother me.
I have owned some beautiful combo guns and drillings that had soldered barrels that I never could get regulated so they got sold because if both barrels don't shoot to the same spot they just don't work for me. I used mine 12/308 mainly as my predator calling gun so it had to be regulated and accurate. I worked up a killer load using a Barnes 110grn. TTSX bullet thinking I could use it for both varmints/predators and deer. With it I shot crow, groundhog, fox, coyote, possum, bobcat, alligator, hogs, javelina, deer, raccoon, and turkey. I miss my BBF97. I traded it toward a BD14 in 20/30-06/222, and that is what I use for predator calling now. 20gauge slugs, #4 tts for coyote, #9 tts for turkey. 222 45grn barnes tsx predator/varmints and deer, close range. 30-06 165 nosler partition all regulated and deadly. Stop worrying about the rubber strip it is way over exaggerated as a big deal, but only get a combo that can be regulated. Merkel's are good and accurate but I would go Blaser.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”