Alternate method for S2 Safari Vertical Regulation

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Thorbrandr

Alternate method for S2 Safari Vertical Regulation

Post by Thorbrandr »

All,

This group has been fantastic for technical help. I recently picked up a late S2 Safari for a planned hunting trip. The regulation had issues, and after trying to use lasers boresighters to adjust the lateral, I ended up going back to the range with the Allen key and adjusting the wedge. OK. Got it almost on horizontally.

The right barrel is probably one of the most accurate rifles I own. The left barrel, however, was printing high consistently at 50 yards (only ~2", but still, it's a Blaser). After reading the S2 regulation thread and watching the mchughcb's videos, I was dreading the vertical regulation. Following one of mchughcb's comments, I sighted down the bottom of the barrels to the monoblock (barrels off the gun). Oui. The twist was visible, and in the direction that the target was indicating. The next question was how to fix that. I don't have a steel or aluminum plate I could make the jig from.

However, I built a new FN-FAL last week (for the commonwealth types, think L1A1). A step on that assembly uses timing rods to get the barrel clocked properly in the receiver to make sure the sights are aligned.

HHHmmmm....

I took the S2 barrels, placed them belly up in my rifle vise, leveled them front to back, and took out a magnetic level and checked at the mono block, mid point and muzzle. Yep. The twist was evident in the level readings. I then got out two of the tool steel rods I use for the FAL barrel timing, and laid one up against the muzzle cap, and one against the monoblock. Sure enough the twist showed. VERY CLEARLY. I pulled the barrels down, loosened the screw under the cap, turned them over, placed the low barrel on the bench and tapped the high side with a rubber mallet. I then rechecked. There was an angle change in the timing rods. A bit of experimentation with the screw tension barrel taps, timing rods, and they are now on. The visible twist is gone. I used the level to confirm as well.

Back out to the range on sunday....

T

some in process photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Thorbrandr on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thorbrandr

Re: Alternate method for S2 Safari Vertical Regulation

Post by Thorbrandr »

There may be some inplane angle issues on the rods since they are not forced to set through a hole or against a hard stop. it is important to get down and look at them when when your eye is aligned with the plane of the bores.

T

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Thorbrandr,

Your a far more patient person than I and one of the reasons why if I were to acquire a double it would be in the o/u configure than the side by side. On my drilling ( krieghiff) there is a tri plane adjustment for the rifle and that was enough for me.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

Oscar,

I spent more time thinking this out than doing. We will see what Sunday brings.

T

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Well T. You are going to learn what a PITA regulating the S2 safari model is and why if you have workshop at the range its the best way.

Having said that its still easier than having to regulate a set of barrels with a wedge and solder lol!

Good luck, I suspect you will still be out barrels are moving in an arc compared to each other, not up and down but see how it goes. I got the 375H&H shooting with about 3" at 200m so good enough for me.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

and to think I was so disappointed when i missed out on the LH S2 I wanted to buy and ended up with an o/u. The BB97 has made me swear quite a bit, until I was told I could rough-regulate the bottom bbl (doh! šŸ˜–) but reading this thread has made me a little happier.... Mind you, I would still love to own a sbs and I hope you get it shooting šŸ‘šŸ¼....
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Difference between standard cal and safari.

I can get standard done as easy as a BBF97.

Safari is a next level difficulty

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

You didnā€™t have to tell me thatšŸ¤£
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

robban.jagaren

Post by robban.jagaren »

Differens between Blaser S2 and the S2 Safari.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robban.jagaren

Post by robban.jagaren »

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat ... ain=321734

I ā€œhadā€ a .470 S2. The regulation adjustment is an adjustable wedge located midway between chamber and muzzles that only controls barrel separation on the horizontal plane. You can adjust the wedge so it applies more or less tension between the barrels. Mine was printing diagonally and 30 cm apart at 100 yards. I adjusted the wedge and I was able to bring the barrels together so that one barrel was printing directly above the other but there was still 30 cm between the shots.

There is no vertical adjustment on the ā€œsafariā€ S2.

The muzzles are held together by a brass bushing, or yoke, or whatever you want to call it. At this point, I rested one of the muzzles turned upside down on a block of wood, careful not to let the front sight touch the wood, and I gave one of the barrels ( the one that was shooting low) a sharp rap with a 2 pound ball peen hammer, just enough to slightly bend the bushing/yoke, and I retested the rifle...... I found that now it was printing both barrels side by side and just about touching!!!

I felt like a criminal hammering on my new and first double rifle I ever owned, but it shot like a piece of manure as it came from Blaser. I will say though, that each individual barrel shot extremely accurately and each printed VERY small groups, but the barrels printed hopelessly apart and the composite group could not be rectified by changing the loads.

In your case, you can simply move the wedge to apply less force between the barrels to bring the shots closer together and stop them from crossing. If you get to the point where you totally remove the wedge and the shots still cross, I donā€™t know how youā€™d bring the barrels closer together. Maybe use heavier bullets or slower loads.

This info will help?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

You don't need to bend the yoke. You loosen the torx screw and are moving one barrel in relation to the other. But you really need to clamp the receiver onto a firm base and a wooden block with a hole cut in it for the lugs is probably best.

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

mchughcb wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:10 am Well T. You are going to learn what a PITA regulating the S2 safari model is and why if you have workshop at the range its the best way.

Having said that its still easier than having to regulate a set of barrels with a wedge and solder lol!

Good luck, I suspect you will still be out barrels are moving in an arc compared to each other, not up and down but see how it goes. I got the 375H&H shooting with about 3" at 200m so good enough for me.
I had to resolder one of my double barrel shotguns that I used for Cowboy Action Shooting. I would not want to have to do that to regulate a double rifle.

The S2 has taken more work to dial in than the D99, but the fact that I can re-regulate it without desoldering is a big plus. Technically I hit "excellent" performance for a double rifle according to some literature on my second range session, but this is a Blaser, and I can adjust it. Better is achievable.

I am now curious to see if the movement on the arc has changed the way the barrel wedge needs to be set. At least that adjustment is fast and easy at the range.

T

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

Sunday range report.

Well, I did change elevation. A bit more than expected. Basically reversed the barrels. Today, I could drop the left barrel on the bullseye at will at 50-75 yards. Right was high.

So (mostly) zeroing out the timing rod angle (i.e. both muzzles aligned parallel with the barrel base at the monoblock) did not mean equal elevation (I had left the right barrel high by a bit judging from the photos I took). Fortunately I have a clear (mental) picture of where the timing rods were when the left barrel was high. Have split the difference on the timing rod angle. Would be real nice to have a range right outside the shop...

T
Last edited by Thorbrandr on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thorbrandr

Post by Thorbrandr »

robban.jagaren wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:05 pm http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat ... ain=321734

I ā€œhadā€ a .470 S2. The regulation adjustment is an adjustable wedge located midway between chamber and muzzles that only controls barrel separation on the horizontal plane. You can adjust the wedge so it applies more or less tension between the barrels. Mine was printing diagonally and 30 cm apart at 100 yards. I adjusted the wedge and I was able to bring the barrels together so that one barrel was printing directly above the other but there was still 30 cm between the shots.

There is no vertical adjustment on the ā€œsafariā€ S2.

The muzzles are held together by a brass bushing, or yoke, or whatever you want to call it. At this point, I rested one of the muzzles turned upside down on a block of wood, careful not to let the front sight touch the wood, and I gave one of the barrels ( the one that was shooting low) a sharp rap with a 2 pound ball peen hammer, just enough to slightly bend the bushing/yoke, and I retested the rifle...... I found that now it was printing both barrels side by side and just about touching!!!

I felt like a criminal hammering on my new and first double rifle I ever owned, but it shot like a piece of manure as it came from Blaser. I will say though, that each individual barrel shot extremely accurately and each printed VERY small groups, but the barrels printed hopelessly apart and the composite group could not be rectified by changing the loads.

In your case, you can simply move the wedge to apply less force between the barrels to bring the shots closer together and stop them from crossing. If you get to the point where you totally remove the wedge and the shots still cross, I donā€™t know how youā€™d bring the barrels closer together. Maybe use heavier bullets or slower loads.

This info will help?
There is very much a vertical adjustment! At least on mine (late special edition). That front block is a pretty decent clamping arrangement for the floating barrels. I pulled the rubber strip to make sure there was no brass yoke on mine. There is not. Elevation is all about the twist of the barrels and the clamping on that front block. I need to setup a rig to take pictures of the angles and measure them so I can tune this in in fewer steps. Desired goal: two shots, just touching side by side at 100 yards. Each barrel is certainly capable of it. Never had so many dead bullseyes of any rifle.

T

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Thorbrandr wrote: ā†‘Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:40 pm Sunday range report.

Well, I did change elevation. A bit more than expected. Basically reversed the barrels. Today, I could drop the left barrel on the bullseye at will at 50-75 yards. Right was high.

So (mostly) zeroing out the timing rod angle (i.e. both muzzles aligned parallel with the barrel base at the monoblock) did not mean equal elevation (I had left the right barrel high by a bit judging from the photos I took). Fortunately I have a clear (mental) picture of where the timing rods were when the left barrel was high. Have split the difference on the timing rod angle. Would be real nice to have a range right outside the shop...

T
I feel your pain buddy. That's why it took me weeks to work out how much to adjust. Once we got them within about 3 inches at 200m I said that's all I"m going to spend doing this. Chest shot on a deer with either barrel should be fine.

Return to ā€œDrillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singlesā€