K95 Varmint?

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Welldone7

K95 Varmint?

Post by Welldone7 »

Has Blaser ever offered a Varmint weight barrel for the K95? I’ve never seen one but I’m a little new to K95’s.

stokesrj

Re: K95 Varmint?

Post by stokesrj »

Pretty sure not, I’ve only seen standard profile, round, octagonal, and half round, half octagonal.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm slightly horrified at the thought of that, kind of defeats the purpose of buying a light weight kipplauf to begin with.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

SPEEDY wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:56 pm I'm slightly horrified at the thought of that, kind of defeats the purpose of buying a light weight kipplauf to begin with.
Agree. Why would anyone bother ?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

It wouldn't be my cup of tea either, but the most satisfactory Ruger #1 single shot in my collection is a bull barreled 22-250. The second most satisfactory is a 375H&H tropical which also has a heavy barrel profile. But they were never trim an light like a K95 even in the A configuration.
Robert J Stokes

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

If someone wanted a varmint type barrel I don't know how it could be done. The barrel could not be larger in the portion where it mates with the receiver, you would need another forend with a larger barrel channel , and wouldn't a larger diameter barrel throw off the geometry of how the forend mates with the receiver? I think the most you could accomplish would to reduce or eliminate the taper from the forend forward and that might look a little funky and not accomplish much other than possibly help you hold the rifle more steady. If you wanted a high volume shooter perhaps a carbon barrel? With my Hornet and 222 barrels I shoot squirrels, crows, foxes, rabbits, coyotes and other stuff just fine. I just don't have enough targets to have the barrel heat up and I am the limiting factor on field accuracy and I don't think a varmint barrel would help me.
Matt

Welldone7

Post by Welldone7 »

AE8DAAB5-01D0-4ABE-BA14-3364B80C360C.jpeg
I knew it. I just knew that everyone would have an opinion and be glad to share it. I agree with all that was stated but I really just was day dreaming on a little heavier barrel the other day in my elevated deer blind. I have shot out past 475 yards available and to be honest, that light K95 would be a lot steadier with some weight on the front end. The rifle is plenty accurate for those distances but I sorta feel too challenged to may an ethical one shot kill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

A heavier gun is easier to shoot well, that is why most of my match rifles weigh between 13 and 20 pounds but a K95 is more than capable of making ethical one shot kills on big game at the distances you describe. I regularly shoot at 560 yards with my K95 stutzen 308 win. I shoot only one shot at a freshly painted steel ram every time I visit the range and have never failed to make a vital organ hit with that one shot even in 20 mile per hour winds. I would advise that practice at those distances would help you build the needed confidence far more than added barrel weight.

However If you really just want a larger diameter barrel anyway. A custom barrel could be made with up to a .985” muzzle diameter. It would require that a shorter barrel hanger be fabricated and a new forearm with a wider barrel channel would of course be required.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

secondtry wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:31 am
SPEEDY wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:56 pm I'm slightly horrified at the thought of that, kind of defeats the purpose of buying a light weight kipplauf to begin with.
Agree. Why would anyone bother ?
Ultimately because they want one, that's always what I consider the best reason to buy any firearms.
Definitely not my cup of tea, but I guess if you bought a K95 ultimate carbon then you might as well put a big thick barrel on it, you can't possibly make one look any more ugly then they come from the factory.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”