Look Out for Your Dogs This Summer

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

mchughcb

Look Out for Your Dogs This Summer

Post by mchughcb »

I was looking back on the duck hunts this year and with a bit of sadness. My hunting pal's young GSP which was a nemesis to my dachs unfortunately was bitten by a snake a couple of months ago while out hunting and succumbed pretty much straight away. He hasn't come out hunting since. This year was the first year my dogs found a snake - a Tiger Snake and luckily they weren't crazy enough to get too close other than to just warn me when I had the drilling in hand.

RIP Peppa.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Re: Look Out for Your Dogs This Summer

Post by TheoR8 »

RIP Peppa. :cry: :angelic-sunshine: :handgestures-thumbup:

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

It's tough when you loose a dog. I had my BMH for 7 years before he was poisoned. That was two years ago and I'm only getting around to considering a new dog now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Yes it takes time to get over the loss of a good dog.
I never hunt with my GSP in the warmer months and I always wear snake proof gaiters.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Dinger

Post by Dinger »

We lost 5 dogs in 3 years to snakes....it was tough on the family and now makes me hyper vigilant with my young GWP. Three of the dogs received treatment and one survived for a few months longer before succumbing to a host of complications due to poor health.

We have since relocated which has reduced the threat considerably. I have yet to sight a snake at our new address (semi-rural), but back at the farm the sightings & interactions are ramping up.

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Going for a walk this weekend with the drilling to see about knocking over some bunnies but will not be taking the dog. Would love to have a wander in the scrub with him but not risking him to snake bite.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Sorry to hear Chucky, them Tiger snakes are deadly on dogs. If it don't get them straight away it's gets them later down the track. c#%t's of things.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've worried about that this goose season, theres no geese but I've never seen so many snakes before.
Luckily most have been pythons and rear fanged Colubrids like tree snakes and night tigers.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

Its never fun to say goodbye to a dog, but because of a snake, must be even worse :?
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Sorry for the mate, looks like it's time to leave the dogs at home Chuck. They will get into a frenzie one day and forget that the wiggle sticks are bad.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

None of our Dachies would go close to snakes, although they certainly let us know they were there. The "snake bark" had a very distinctive tone. Seemed to well and truly know that snakes are bad news.

I wouldn't count on it though, and as said, two dogs together could well egg each other on to do something not smart.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I've lost three bird dogs to snakes, I'm truly sorry for your friend loss.
Robert J Stokes

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Went out on yesterday day for a little hunt on a new property I have got access to. Will write something up later today and post with pics but didn't take the dog as it was prime snake bite conditions. Didn't see any but the property owner said they had see a few about. It would be mostly blacks and browns. The browns are active at the moment with the talk grass, mating etc. they'll calm down shortly when the grass lays over but still would not risk the dog with active browns.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Oscar wrote:Went out on yesterday day for a little hunt on a new property I have got access to. Will write something up later today and post with pics but didn't take the dog as it was prime snake bite conditions. Didn't see any but the property owner said they had see a few about. It would be mostly blacks and browns. The browns are active at the moment with the talk grass, mating etc. they'll calm down shortly when the grass lays over but still would not risk the dog with active browns.
Yep spot on.
My GSP does a lot of swimming in our Queensland summers.
But I would never take my dog hunting until well after the heat has passed.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

F308

Post by F308 »

That’s rough loosing three dogs to snakes....

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”