Rigby Highland Stalker 275

"Whether crafted in 1775, today or the years in between, this is where you can discuss your Rigby rifles and shotguns."
MD Driver

Re: Rigby Highland Stalker 275

Post by MD Driver »

Yeah, Rigby does stunning work. Within the last two years, I’ve gotten a Mauser M98 Diplomat in 8mm, a Rigby Big Game in .416 Rigby, and a Rigby Highland Stalker in .275 Rigby. All three are exceptional. The metals are the same Mauser 98 products, with Made in Germany printed on the side of the actions. Both Rigbys also have the traditional cartridge verbiage and their London address on the metal as well. So, between all three, there is no difference in the metals, unless you decide to have engraving done which drives the cost up dramatically. The actions, barrels, fixed sights....all top-shelf.

Now for the difference, which is slight. The Rigby woodwork is stunning. The M98 is a beauty, but the Rigbys have that slight amount of extra class and refined finish. I purposely got all three guns in their respective traditional cartridges, and Rigby keeps original owners recorded in their centuries-old journals. Rigby also includes a complimentary SCI membership for you or as a gift to someone else. When I ordered the Highland Stalker from Gordy & Sons, the salesman worked with me and spent a fair amount of time looking for a rifle that would match my Big Game’s stock color as closely as possible. Bingo, he nailed it. Both guns have that deep, rich dark mahogany color, and their finishes match exactly.

So..... Which to buy? A very, very tough call. What worked for me was the traditional cartridges constraints, even though I ended up with guns from both manufacturers. Having to choose one, though....just me, but I prefer the Rigbys.

Good luck.... you’re choosing between two exceptional brands.

BTW if you get MOTV, or some other service that has the show Shooting Gallery, there’s a great episode, “1902” I think, about the current Rigby company. Also, there’s a great tour of Gordy & Sons by Marc Newton on Rigby’s Facebook page.

As always....just a satisfied customer/owner here. No other ties to Mauser, Rigby, or Gordy & Sons.
Last edited by MD Driver on Sun May 15, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Toby458

Post by Toby458 »

I love the look and feel of these rifles. I have considered buying one in 9.3x62, but the Blaser R8 bug bit me before I got around to it.

Vagrouser

Post by Vagrouser »

I have an original 275 Rigby built 1929. I wouldn’t mind buying a current production one too Unfortunately I’m not aware of any nearby to handle before springing for the purchase

MD Driver

Post by MD Driver »

That would be a leap of faith, but I really don’t think you’ll be disappointed with a new .275 Rigby HS, even though sight unseen. Just came back from this year’s DSC Convention, and of course Rigby was well represented there. A rack of HS and BG guns, and all were perfect. Their build quality and consistency is incredible. If you know that you want one, go for it. I bought my third Rigby there.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

Ear muffs for those modern Mauser and Rigby owners.

I was at the Jagd and Hunde in 2017 or 2018 when they relaunched the new Rigby rifles.

At the price point they are at, I don't think they represent a good value. Especially when there are so many other options out there making modern 98 actions.

Are the stocks currently fitted to your dimensions?

This is something that could be done on a custom rifle made by an actual custom maker.

The heritage is contrived.

Not my cup of tea as I no longer want for wood stocked rifles, but if I did at that price point I'd rather have a real custom rifle, and not a factory rifle that has a $4500 worth of marketing gimmick in it.

A Heym with one of Rolph's stocks on it makes a lot more sense to me.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Gamsjagd wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 am Ear muffs for those modern Mauser and Rigby owners.

I was at the Jagd and Hunde in 2017 or 2018 when they relaunched the new Rigby rifles.

At the price point they are at, I don't think they represent a good value. Especially when there are so many other options out there making modern 98 actions.

This is something that could be done on a custom rifle made by an actual custom maker.

Not my cup of tea as I no longer want for wood stocked rifles, but if I did at that price point I'd rather have a real custom rifle, and not a factory rifle that has a $4500 worth of marketing gimmick in it.

A Heym with one of Rolph's stocks on it makes a lot more sense to me.
fornicate………..I wish you had told me this before I bought 3 of the bloody things 👍

Oh well…….I’ll just suffer on as normal 😂😂

Rod

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I'm going to bribe Theo to pull one out of the cabinet so I can have an opinion. The highland stalkers certainly look great.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Rod wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:45 am
Gamsjagd wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 am Ear muffs for those modern Mauser and Rigby owners.

A Heym with one of Rolph's stocks on it makes a lot more sense to me. :lol:
fornicate………..I wish you had told me this before I bought 3 of the bloody things 👍

Oh well…….I’ll just suffer on as normal 😂😂

Rod
:clap: :D
Robert J Stokes

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

I remember talking to the Rigby guys at jagd and hund. They were ridiculously proud of the rifles. I handled them I thinking they are nice rifles. But it was funny the sense of accomplishment that they had it made me laugh.Even though I thought Jeff Miller the guy that owned the American version of the company was a tool bag. As the fact that Mauser got the rights to the the Rigby name was through jeffs accounting error was kind of bullshit. I am 100% more of a function over form guy I wasn’t always that way they were days in the past one I liked good word in fancy blueing. Today all of that is lost on me

MD Driver

Post by MD Driver »

OK, so your points were made twice. “Function over form” is a debate that’s hardly new or profound. In addition to four Rigbys, I have synthetic Blasers and a synthetic CZ in .416 Rigby. So, I don’t see any of this as a binary matter at all.

Anecdotally, I’ve always enjoyed some of the older chamberings…. 300 Savage, 257 Roberts, etc. So when Gordy offered a beautiful Dakota in 257, I jumped on it. A stunning mahogany rifle. And yes, its price was as much as a Highland Stalker. It’s hardly just Rigby who’s “proud” of their offerings.

A Remington 700 piece of garbage will throw lead down range with very little investment. It’s just what a person wants and enjoys.

Return to “John Rigby And Company”