Hello from Wales

A place where new members can introduce themselves.

Moderators: deerhunter338mag, pagosawingnut

Mac

Hello from Wales

Post by Mac »

Hi, I'm just getting ready to buy an R8 success as my first Blaser. Having dragged a Remmy 700 varmint (with MAE T12 moderator) around the hills of Scotland for many years, I'm looking forward to something lighter and shorter. I mainly shoot Roe deer, with increasing opportunities for Red deer. The site looks great and the members seem very helpful. Thanks in advance for the many questions that I'm sure to ask.

Atb

Mac

stokesrj

Re: Hello from Wales

Post by stokesrj »

Welcome, you'll really like the R8 Success, I love mine.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Yes this is the place to be for straight answers from actual owners. Welcome aboard.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Welcome aboard Mac. Thinking you'll like that R8 Success. Those red deer are some beautiful animals and they taste as good as they look.

Saugmann
Pro Staff

Post by Saugmann »

Welcome Mac. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the R8. I'm taking my R8 on the first trip to Scotland for hinds in November and look forward to carrying less (in a smaller package) as well. Let us know how you get on.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Dom

Post by Dom »

Welcome to BB Mac. Guessing in your neck of the woods either 6,5 or 308 should work well.
-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom --------------

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Welcome to the forum Mac. I recently got the R8 professional success in .270win having had a Ruger M77, once you get your hands on it you won't be disappointed. The guys here (I'm not including myself) are extremely knowledgeable and there hasn't been a question I've seen they can't answer.
Last edited by chalky on Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trazman
Meister der jagd

Post by trazman »

Hi Mac welcome on board!

Mac

Post by Mac »

Thanks to everyone for the welcome. My R8 will be in .308, it works well for me. All I have to decide now is:

Stock colour
Barrel contour
Fluting.. Or not
Mounts... Blaser or Contessa
Moderator... Which one.

I think I've got a few questions to post!

Saugmann - good luck at the hinds, let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Mac

Saugmann
Pro Staff

Post by Saugmann »

Thanks Mac!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saugmann
Pro Staff

Post by Saugmann »

Hi Mac, what did you end up going for!

Christian

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

mchughcb wrote:Yes this is the place to be for straight answers from actual owners. Welcome aboard.
Common, have you ever got a straight answer from me before.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Mac

Post by Mac »

Hi Christian,

I ended up with a .30-06, success in brown with std profile barrel, no fluting, no sights, blaser mounts and a Hardy Gen 5 moderator which only protrudes 80mm from the muzzle and weighs very little. I was a little concerned with moving from .308 to .30-06 but am more than happy with recoil and accuracy. (Just managed to get a 0.5 MOA load today). The R8 is everything I thought it would be and been put to good use over he last few months. I can't imagine using another rifle and I'm looking at getting a .222 barrel for foxing.

How did you get on at the Hinds?

Cheers

Mac

Saugmann
Pro Staff

Post by Saugmann »

Lovely, sounds like a great package Mac.

A 30-06 is probably a little more versatile and better suited for the UK. Recoil is not bad particularly with a moderator. I always shoot my 7x64 with a mod, but even without it is not at all unpleasant.

I like fat barrels but on recommendation from forum members I went with a standard for my 7x64 and I'm really pleased I did. It is a dream to carry and handles really well.

I must say that getting components for the 7x64 was a major pain, to the point where I wished I'd gotten a 30-06. I'm all set up now though so things are fine.

The place was beautiful, the stalking was first class and there were plenty of deer. I managed to bag some each day so lots of fun.

I also rediscovered a long lost taste for whiskey. The culprit was Mortlach 15 years.

Unfortunately I had a few issues with my scope and had to rezero, which kind of limited my confidence in the setup. It was an old and battered scope and I've since bought a Leica ERi that I'm itching to use.

I couldn't get the rifle to shoot as well as i expected with the 140 grain bullets I got for the trip, but now I've managed to source some 168 grain bullets that I'll give a try. Based on feedback from the forum it sounds like the 7x64 barrels prefer heavier bullets.

0.5 MOA is great shooting. I know it's not really required for hunting, but I think it gives confidence and its great satisfaction to get there.

I have also been toying with the idea of a smaller calibre for foxing, but it will have to wait a while. I don't do enough of it to justify a new barrel (not that this argument stopped me in the past...).

Return to “BlaserBuds Introductions”